Why K-pop Beat J-pop
7 Reasons Why K-pop Beat J-pop In Popularity
|Why K-pop Beat J-pop|
1. Korean wave. Korea is promoting its culture (including K-Pop) around the world. While Japan is not (if you wanna know about J-Pop, anime, manga, video game just search it yourself on google)
2. Many Korean singer became popular in Japan since BoA time, but on the other hand not many Japanese singer popular in Korea. What's wrong with Japan?
Maybe because Korean population is much less than Japan so "Why must I downgrading myself by promoting to Korea?"
You know that K-pop artists usually must learn English, Japanese, sometimes Chinese language. But J-pop artist only know Japanese, sometimes English, that's it. If Japan think Korean population is less, how about China? China have no.1 population in the world. But there's only a tiny bit of J-pop songs in Chinese version.
3. Many Korean labels have official channel on youtube. And they upload HD quality music videos (MV). But on the other hand not many Japanese labels have official channel on youtube. And if they have it, they only upload poor quality or short version videos. Why?
This is like "If you wanna see my PV, just buy it at my country." (Or download it from rapidshare,
Actually youtube is free advertising around the world. With alexa rank no 3 many people became famous by youtube (Justin Bieber for example).
4. Arirang as Korean global television promoting Korean wave with english language & attractive program (for K-pop: Pops in Seoul).
Just compare it with NHK World and you know what I mean.
5. Now many people know about music show in Korean TV with HD quality (SBS Inkigayo, KBS Music Bank, MBC Music Core). And many people upload it on youtube.
On the other hand not many people know about Japanese music show. I only know Kohaku Uta Gassen which is once a year.
6. J-pop have longer period than K-pop. So the lyrics author or music composer have created many songs. And if you have created many songs its difficult to create new song that refreshing.
This is why Mandarin song beaten by J-pop years ago (I prove it by listen to 10 Mandarin songs by various artists, and listen to 10 J-pop songs by 1 artist, the result is Mandarin song is more boring).
And now its turn K-pop beat J-pop with same reason. (Unfortunately this doesn't work for western song. Davichi - Don't Say Goodbye is much better than Adele - Someone Like You. But of course Adele is more popular worldwide)
7. Plastic surgery? Many people talk about it. Ugly became beautiful / handsome. Pros, contras, whatever. If many people talk about it, this controversial thing become advertising.
So, Japan, just follow Korea example (except plastic surgery) if you wanna become more popular worldwide. Actually Japan has more diversity. Korea is too much girlband / boyband. Japan have solo singer, band, rock band, etc.
My prediction was right for no 3. PSY Gangnam Style became worldwide sensation because of youtube. I'm gonna explain a little about PV and MV. In Japan, video clip is called Promotional Video or PV. Usually it is released before the single or album is out to promote that single or album. In Korea, video clip is called Music Video or MV. Usually it is released at the same time with single or album. So, the strange thing is Japan have Promotional Video but not promoting at youtube. Maybe Japan thinks "If people watch my PV for free they're not gonna buy the single/album." This is wrong thinking. Remember that PV's purpose is for promoting the single/album. Imagine there's company that have product. And that company have ads to promote the product. But people must buy the ads before they can watch it. Strange, right? There are some PV at youtube but in poor quality or short version. If you watch PV in poor quality, do you still wanna buy the single / album?
Update 2: Morning Musume upload Brainstorming PV in HD quality. Also Kyary Pamyu Pamyu Invader Invader. It seems Japan start following my advice (maybe?)
Update 3: BABYMETAL become popular worldwide because of youtube. BABYMETAL is the youngest girlband in the world that doing world tour (Yuimetal and Moametal only 15 years old).
PS: If you like J-pop, support Jpop artists by buying original CD/DVD click here